SL Navigation

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Marcel,

I notice that the Application Framework is not a Navigation style application. 

My own experiance on the matter is this:  If a user is in a browser, he is used to hitting the browser back/forward button.  If he is in an app and hits the back button, he will expect to go to the prior page of the app, not the prior site he was navigating to. 

Caliburn doesn't do this out of the box either, so I spent some time creating the Silverlight Navigation with Caliburn.Micro which you can see at http://silverlightnav.codeplex.com/

It's not an application framework like IBAF is, but it does integrate Caliburn with Navigation and uses MEF to tie the two together.  Rob was pretty impressed with it.  You might want to see if there is anything from it that you could use to make the IBAF support navigation, as I really think navigation is integral to any application in a browser. 

Anyhow, just wondering what your viewpoint is on this.

Greg

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Thanks. I take a look. We generally avoid view based navigation and Caliburn Micro like most MVVM frameworks does as well. View based navigation generally leads to logic in the view, which defeats its purpose of being a dumb presentation layer and makes screen compositions that want to reuse views in different compositions rather difficult without some ugly logic in the view.

Marcel

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Thanks Marcel, I totally agree with view based navigation not being a good idea.  (In SilverlightNav, it is neither viewfirst, nor modelfirst.  The framework pulls both a view and a model based on a key, then creates the model, then the view, then marries the two up with Caliburn binding.)  In any case, I have the IBAF on my list of things to look futher into as it looks pretty well thought out.

Greg