XML Documentation for Release Build

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Hi marcelgood,

I was hoping you could change the project files, under the Release configuration, to create an XML documentation file.  Specifically Caliburn.Micro.Extensions.XML, IB.Application.Framework.Core.SL.XML and IdeaBlade.Extensions.SL.XML.

Thanks,

Andrew

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Andrew,

Let me think about it. Just out of curiosity. I do include the API documentation as a chm file and I make it available online here. It doesn't include IdeaBlade.Extensions.SL, because it is just required for the IdeaBlade.TestFramework that I'm including. I'm not encouriging using IdeaBlade.Extensions.SL other than for testing purposes. I didn't write the test framework, I'm just including it, because it makes testing with Silverlight easier. So, I'm wondering why you want the xml documentation files in the Release configuration. If you build in Debug configuration, you'll get the xml documentation file for Caliburn.Micro.Extensions and IB.Application.Framework.Core.

Marcel

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Hi Marcel – thanks for responding.

The purpose of the XML file was to provide Intellisense when using the assemblies in our project. We would like to create an automated RELEASE build of the project – that recompiles the assemblies and spits out the assemblies and the XML Intellisense files and then have those checked in automatically to our project. As far as IdeaBlade.Extensions.SL – I didn’t realize that was intended solely for testing – thanks for the tip.

Would you be open to posting your assemblies to NuGet – that would be our preferred way of retrieving the dlls?

Thanks,

Andrew

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:13 AM
To: Andrew Denysenko
Subject: Re: XML Documentation for Release Build [devforcecaliburn:281986]

Andrew,

Let me think about it. Just out of curiosity. I do include the API documentation as a chm file and I make it available online here. It doesn't include IdeaBlade.Extensions.SL, because it is just required for the IdeaBlade.TestFramework that I'm including. I'm not encouriging using IdeaBlade.Extensions.SL other than for testing purposes. I didn't write the test framework, I'm just including it, because it makes testing with Silverlight easier. So, I'm wondering why you want the xml documentation files in the Release configuration. If you build in Debug configuration, you'll get the xml documentation file for Caliburn.Micro.Extensions and IB.Application.Framework.Core.

Marcel

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I forgot about Intellisense. I normally reference the source code in my projects, so it didn't even occur to me. I'll enable the XML documentation for the Release build.

NuGet is on my list of things to do. Haven't had a chance yet. It's coming, though.

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Andrew,

I just made the 2.0.3 assemblies available via NuGet: https://nuget.org/packages/DAF

We are about to release DevForce 6.1.4. Shortly after that I will make DAF 2.0.4 available. It will have the XML documentation files.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Nice! Thank you marcel J

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Hi Marcel,

Do you know if IdeaBlade will also put DevForce into NuGet. I realize that it is a commercial product – but even so – it would be great if we could also manage that dependency via NuGet (in the same way Telerik for example puts their commercial products into NuGet)?

Andrew

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM

We have discussed it, but there are no immediate plans. With DevForce it is a little bit more difficult because of the Visual Studio extensions. I don't think we can install the VS extension via NuGet.